For me baking is my time to relax. It takes my mind off the week that was and all the things that I need to do for the week ahead. I was thinking about what to bake while I was still at work. I decided I would make a Key Lime Pie. The recipe below is from Taste. I tweaked the recipe because I wanted the Pie to have a really tangy flavour.
200g Digestive Biscuits
1/3 cup ground almonds
1 tablespoons of sugar
100grams of melted butter
4 to 5 egg yolks (depending on the size) I used 5
395g can condensed milk
2/3 cup cream
4 limes (juice and zest)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Line base of a 20cm spring form tin with baking paper.
3. Process biscuits until fine crumbs.
3. Add almonds, sugar and butter mix until combined. Press mixture firmly into the base and sides of tin
4. Whisk eggs, condensed milk, cream, lime rind and juice until smooth.
5. Pour into biscuit crust.
6. Place on tray and bake for 40-45 minutes or until set. Cool
Notice the sides. I always seem to have issues pressing down biscuit bases. Every time I do the sides it turns out weird. If anyone has a tip to make it look better please leave a comment.
I was helping myself to the tangy Pie filling, hence why its not to the top. :) It was so nice. I could have eaten the whole thing before it went in the oven.
It turned out pretty well. After 30 minutes I turned the oven off and left the pie in there for a further 10 minutes. It was just set.