When I went to New York in June, one of the places on my list was Magnolia Bakery. I first saw this on an episode of Sex and The City. I also heard a lot of reviews about their famous cupcakes. I fell in love with Magnolia’s Red Velvet Cupcakes. It was so light and fluffy. The icing was creamy and you couldn’t stop at one. When I got back to Sydney I searched the web and found the recipe.
I decided to make these special cupcakes for a friend at work. It was a perfect fit for her personality. Michelle is a fashionista, so chic and very New York.
Magnolia Red Velvet Cupcakes – Makes 24
3 1/2 plain flour (sifted)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
6 tablespoons red food coloring
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
Preheat oven to 175°C
1. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the food colouring, cocoa, and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.
3. Mix the salt into the buttermilk. Add to the batter in three parts alternating with the flour, beat until the ingredients are just incorporated.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well.
5. Divide the batter among the prepared pans. I used some cupcake wrappers to make it easier to clean up.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean..
The cupcakes came out so red. I recommend using powder food colouring instead of the liquid form.
Everyone at work loved the cupcakes. I will definately make these again. Its such a vibrant colour and simple to make. If you ever travel to New York make sure to visit Magnolia Bakery. Their cupcakes are amazing.