This months Kulinarya dish was picked by Trissa. She decided on Leche Flan which is one of the most popular desserts in the Philippines. It is similar to Crème Caramel. It’s melt in your mouth and really easy to make.
I have only made Leche Flan once. It was for our Forensic Dinner and I was nervous about turning it out onto a plate just in case it didn’t set. I was lucky because the first time I made it, it was perfect.
Kulinarya is all about learning how to cook Filipino Food and mastering different techniques of cooking. As you can see, my Leche Flan is not the most attractive. Basically second time around, I wasn’t so lucky. The cream split due to the lime juice. But never fear Beauty is only skin deep. The Leche Flan may look ugly but it sure taste good.
600ml thickened cream
1 can of condensed milk
12 egg yolks
zest from 2 limes
4 - 5 tablespoons white sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. In a pan melt the sugar until medium brown. Carefully put the melted sugar into a round baking tin.
3. Mix the egg yolks, condensed milk, and cream on a medium speed with an electric mixer.
4. Strain the mixture into another bowl and add the lime zest.
5. Pour mixture on top of the caramel and cover with foil.
6. Put the Leche Flan in a baking tray and pour water until it is halfway up the tin.
7. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until set but a little wobbly.
8. Put the Leche Flan in the fridge for at least an hour.
Kulinarya was started by a group of Filipino foodies living in Sydney, who are passionate about the Filipino culture and its colourful cuisine. Each month we will showcase a new dish along with their family recipes. By sharing these recipes, we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino Food as we do.
If you are interested in joining our Kulinarya Cooking Club, please feel free to drop by our foodblogs and leave a comment – we would love to hear from you!
Asha – http://forkspoonnknife.blogspot.com/