Gifts for friends during Easter are always fun to make. This year I decided that I would keep chocolate Easter eggs and bunnies to a minimum. I made these Brownie Bars from a recipe that I found in 1001 Cupcakes, Cookies & Other Tempting Treats (thanks for the book Trisha).
Double Chocolate Brownies
115 grams butter
115 grams dark compound cooking chocolate
300 grams caster sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
140 grams plain flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
100 grams white chocolate chips
Additions: I added some M&M minis to make it more colourful. I used ½ cup all together.
1. Preheat the oven at 180C.
2. Place the butter and compound chocolate into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until melted. Remove from the heat then stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly
3. Stir the sugar, salt and vanilla extract into the cooled chocolate and butter mixture. Add the eggs 1 at a time and blend with a mixer after each egg addition.
4. Sift the flour and cocoa into the mix and beat until smooth.
5. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour into a silicone mini loaf tray. (I bought mine from K-Mart and it makes 6 mini loafs or brownie bars.)
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out almost clean.
The brownie bars are chewy and delicious. It’s a perfect present for Easter.