Yiheee the MasterChef Magazine is finally here. I was so excited and got myself a copy as soon as it hit shelves. I saw a preview of the magazine from a lift out and the first thing I said to myself was that I would make a dessert from it. As I sat on the train reading the mag, the photo of the Chocolate, Banana and Honeycomb Roll instantly caught my eye. I’ve never attempted to make a Swiss Roll before.
Chocolate, Banana and Honeycomb Roll from the MasterChef Magazine
Ingredients (serves 8)
6 eggs, separated
110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
25g (1/4 cup) Dutch cocoa (see note), plus extra, to dust
2 tbs potato starch (flour) (see note) or plain flour
125g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), melted
250g (1 cup) mascarpone
160g dulce de leche or Nestle Caramel Top 'n' Fill (see note)
3 x 50g Crunchie chocolate bars, roughly chopped
1 small, just-ripe banana, diced
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 28cm x 32cm Swiss roll pan and line with baking paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg yolks and sugar on high speed until thick and pale. Sift over cocoa and potato starch, and fold in gently. Add chocolate and 2 tbs boiling water and stir gently to combine.
3. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites to soft peaks, then fold into the chocolate mixture.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan and level with the back of a spoon. Bake for 12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
5. Dust generously with cocoa, then cover with a sheet of baking paper. Invert cake with baking paper onto a work surface, then gently peel paper from the bottom of the cake.
6. While the cake is still hot, use the baking paper to gently roll up the cake from its long side, rolling paper with the cake. Cool for 20 minutes only.
7. Place mascarpone, dulce de leche, 100g Crunchie and banana in a bowl and stir until partially combined.
8. Gently unroll the cake, then spread with filling, leaving a 2cm border. Re-roll the cake (it may crack a little, but don't worry). Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until filling is firm. Dust with extra cocoa and scatter with remaining chopped Crunchie to serve.