When I read Trissa’s post about what she thought was the Worlds Best Pistachio Cookies, I immediately knew I had to taste them. Will they meet my expectations?? I love pistachios, but every time I have a cookie with pistachios I would always feel like there wasn’t enough in them.
After dinner with Trissa one night, we went to get the ingredients to make the cookies. With just 5 ingredients, I was about to create what would become a new family favourite.
It took me 5 minutes to make the mixture and after 15 minutes I had a batch of the Worlds Best Pistachio Cookies out of the oven. Did it meet my expectations?? It certainly did and then some. It was chewy, sweet with tonnes of roasted pistachio pieces.
I was asked by Mama Eugenio to make some for Christmas gifts and my dad looks for them all the time. Trissa thank you for sharing such a great recipe. It’s now a Eugenio Family Favourite, which I am sure to last decades.
Worlds Best Pistachio Cookies or Italian Pistachio Cookies
90 grams PLUS 100 grams Pistachios (raw, shelled)
100 grams almond meal
120 grams caster sugar
50 grams eggwhites (from around 1 to 2 eggs)
Green food colouring (optional)
1. Lightly toast the pistachios for around 10 minutes in a preheated oven at 160c. 2. Chop the first 90 grams of pistachio finely (you can use a food processor for this) and the other 100 grams of pistachios roughly.
3. In a bowl place the finely chopped 90 grams of pistachios, almond meal, sugar and egg whites. Mix well (you can add a few drops of food colouring now if you wish) until you form a paste.
4. Scoop the cookie batter and form into little balls, (at this point, if you find the batter too sticky add a little bit more almond meal to the paste) then roll them in the remaining 100 grams of pistachios.
5. Place then in a baking sheet, around 2 cm apart and bake for around 13 minutes at 170c (fan forced).
6. Dust with icing sugar when cool.
Have a very Merry Christmas Everyone. I hope your day is filled with lots of love, hugs, happy little kids opening presents and delicious good. Cheers to a fantastic 2011...