Ok so I admit it, I use pre packaged cake mix. I love to make my own cakes but sometimes time gets the better of me and when I need to make something quickly I resort to good ol cake mixes. I honestly don’t see anything wrong with it. There are some delicious mixes out there. You just have to look for it.
At the Good Food & Wine Show in Sydney, I found just that, I saw a crowd at the La Cour Patisserie Stand and headed over there. I met Natalie, who has developed a range of sweet cafe treats for people to make at home. Her products are preservative free and have no artificial flavours. That instantly won me over, and I ended up going home with 3 cafe style treats to make at home.
So here is my version of a quick Chocolate Cake, this took me all of 10 minutes to prepare.
Chocolate Cake with Fresh Cream and Mixed Berry Sauce
1 x Double Layer Chocolate Cake Baking Kit
1 cup of frozen mixed berries
¼ caster sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup thickened cream
1. Make the cake as per the instructions on the box. Allow the cake to cool completely before decorating
2. In a saucepan, add the caster sugar, berries and lemon juice over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved and the berries start to burst. Try not to over cook the sauce. You want the berries to retain their shape.
3. Whip the cream until stiff peaks and set aside.
Assembling the Cake
1. Take the 2 chocolate cakes and trim the tops to make them even.
2. Fold the whipped cream with half of the berry sauce. Put the cream on top of the first chocolate cake.
3. Put the second chocolate cake on top of the cream. Gently press the cake down.
4. Ice the top layer with the Chocolate Icing and serve on a pretty cake stand.
This cake is deliciously decadent and addictive. I recommend it to anyone looking to impress friends and family with a dessert that looks like it took hours to make.
If you want more information on Natalie's delicious range of sweet treats or if you would like to order just go to her website La Cour Patisserie