This month’s Kulinarya theme is Filipino Style Spaghetti. Thanks to Gio (www.thehungrygiant.net), Kyle and Bea (www.ratedkb.blogspot.com) for coming up with one of my favourite dishes as the theme for September - October.
Filipino Style Spaghetti is something that most Filipino Families serve at parties. Its sweet and sometimes a little spicy and normally made with pork mince.
Below is Mama Eugenio’s version:
Filipino Style Spaghetti
4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
500 grams pork mince
1 small onion (diced)
1 small onion (diced)
4 cloves of garlic (crushed and chopped finely)
1 small red capsicum
4 American hot dogs (sliced diagonally)
½ cup of spaghetti sauce (I used Del Monte Filipino Style spaghetti sauce. You can get this at any good Asian stores)
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of pickle relish
¾ bottle of UFC Banana Ketchup (You can get this at any good Asian stores)
½ a teaspoon of chilli flakes (optional)
2 to 3 cups of penne or spaghetti (I chose to use penne because I find it a lot easier to eat.)
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent and the garlic is just cooked but not golden brown.
2. Add the mince pork and brown. Stirring occasionally to break up the meat.
3. Once the meat is brown, add the hot dogs and the capsicum.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the spaghetti sauce, UFC and soy sauce. Add this to the mince and stir until combined. This will be a very thick consistency. You can add a few tablespoons of water to make it a little runny.
5. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes before adding the pickle relish and chilli flakes.
6. Set the sauce aside and cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water till al dente.
In a medium size ovenproof dish, combine the pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle with a combination on ricotta and tasty cheese. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted.
Kulinarya was started by a group of Filipino foodies living in Sydney, who are passionate about the Filipino culture & its colourful cuisine. Each month we will showcase a new dish along with their family recipes. By sharing these recipes, we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino Food as we do.
For more information regarding the Kulinarya Cooking Club or if you are interested in joining, please leave a comment or visit http://kulinaryaclub.wordpress.com/. Make sure to take the time and visit our members blogs for inspiration.